Bug (?) returning user to home login screen

Bug and problem reporting on Cyclos 4 version

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

bconnect

Bug (?) returning user to home login screen

Post by bconnect »

I recently installed Cyclos 4.1 using Jealistic one-click install. I am currently in a configure / testing phase for a local time-bank solution (basic generic configuration / nothing custom).

During testing I am findings that on a number of occasions (i.e. login via marketplace place) the website seems to drop-out back to the login screen.

Session timeout set at 30 minutes.

Same issue occurs with Google Chrome and Explorer current releases of software.

When I look at the connected users I can see multiples of the user that was dropped out which I then need to disconnect.

Overall software is great and meets most of my requirements but I am concerned about how this performance issue could impact as we we get more users connecting to our site.

Any thoughts why this might be happening? Am I the only one to have this problem?

Thanks

Bconnect

admin
Site Admin

Re: Bug (?) returning user to home login screen

Post by admin »

Hi,

It is unlikely to be a performance issue. We never had this issue with Cyclos4. We had a similar issues with Cyclos3 due to different time zone handling.
It could be that the timezone configured in the database (PostGreSQL) is different that the timezone of the Webserver (Tomcat).
Another possibility is that if Tomcat and Postgress are running in different servers (which is the case with Jelastic I think) and the server timezones are different it could also cause a problem with user sessions.

I will contact Jelastic to have a look at this. It might be good to contact them as well. Please include a link to this post.

anibal

Post by anibal »

Também estou tendo problema semelhante ultimamente. O Cyclos no momento de salvar alguma alteração, desloga sozinho e perde as alterações, indepondente do tempo de conexão, pois por via das dúvidas, alterei p/ 1 hora... e continuou c/ o mesmo problema.

onyekachi

Post by onyekachi »

Please was their a resolution to this issue because I am having exactly the same problem. The application is installed in Jelastic. I have tried to contact them but instead they sent me a link on how to install Cyclos.

I have a feeling the problem may not even be cyclos but their environment. As I was upgrading from trial of their environment to payed environment; in one of the screens, I was asked to provide my names - first name, last name etc, as soon as I click to continued, I received Session timeout. Has any person experienced his type of issue with Jelastic and is there another cloud company we could try instead.

rmvanarkel

Post by rmvanarkel »

Ok we will also try to contact Jelastic to see if we can find a solution. In Cyclos, we enforce that the session id is valid only for the client IP address that logged in. Maybe there some sort of proxy or other mechanism in Jelastic that could cause client IPs to change in distinct requests. So maybe this could have something to do with the problem. The timezone is probably not causing the problem, because if this would be the problem the login would not at all be possible anymore. We will keep you all updated.

rmvanarkel

Post by rmvanarkel »

BTW maybe it is also good if you report the problem to Jelastic, for them it might be easier to work with a concrete case.

tamer

Post by tamer »

exactly the same problem here.
If it takes me longer than 1 minute to enter an article in marketplace or create new user, I get back to login screen.
Most times I lost what I just did. :|

ckjelastic

Post by ckjelastic »

Hello everyone.
Let me shed a light on this topic on behalf of Jelastic team .
Indeed by default the environments at Jelastic platform run behind a proxy server for the reason of load balancing. Hence Cyclos parses the HTTP headers and considers the IP addresses of those internal servers as remote ones, and because Jelastic have more than one servers, the IP address changes time to time, which in turn makes session invalid. As a workaround there are two options: 1) for the paid users it's possible to enable public IP address and easily get rid of the problem 2) being on the Dashboard select "Change Topology" for your environment and add the balancer on the top of your application, this will limit the amount of IP addresses to a single one and thus won't make sessions invalid any longer.
Meanwhile I believe that Cyclos team will consider this issue and soon implement the support for such a condition when the application runs behind a proxy taking into account additional headers that are sent along with the remote address.
Best regards,
CK

rmvanarkel

Post by rmvanarkel »

Thanks CK for your input. And indeed in the next release of Cyclo 4 PRO it will be possible to choose whether to use the real request IP or a custom http header to determine the remote address (X-FORWARDED-FOR, X-REAL-IP) as a setting in the cyclos.properties file.

rmvanarkel

Post by rmvanarkel »

Just for documentation purposes, this function is now long available, you can change the setting (currently in line 80) in the cyclos.properties file (<tomcat_home>/webapps/cyclos/WEB-INF/classes/cyclos.properties), add the line:
cyclos.header.remoteAddress = X-Forwarded-For