Initialization does not pick up Chinese locale

Any communication concerning the translations of the Cyclos3 version

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

kclau

Initialization does not pick up Chinese locale

Post by kclau » Sat May 30, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi,
I'm translating 3.5 RC2 into Simplified Chinese and I'm able to get a translation prototype working on English and Chinese Windows XP.

I have edited web\WEB-INF\classes\cyclos.properties with:
cyclos.embedded.locale = zh_CN

However, even on Chinese XP, the initialization process does not pick up the Chinese locale.

I need to save the translated Chinese files as follows for it to work:
1. web\WEB-INF\classes\ApplicationResources_en_US.properties
2. web\WEB-INF\classes\nl\strohalm\cyclos\setup\CyclosSetup_en_US.properties
3. web\pages\general\translation_files\helps\en_US\*.jsp

Ideally, it should pick up these files:
1. web\WEB-INF\classes\ApplicationResources_zh_CN.properties
2. web\WEB-INF\classes\nl\strohalm\cyclos\setup\CyclosSetup_zh_CN.properties
3. web\pages\general\translation_files\helps\zh_CN\*.jsp

If I start up cyclos with java -Duser.language=zh -Duser.country=CN, it picks up web\WEB-INF\classes\nl\strohalm\cyclos\setup\CyclosSetup_zh_CN.properties but still uses ApplicationResources_en_US.properties and the helps\en_US folder.

While it works for me now, it is not a pretty solution. Is there a way to do it? Could you consider using cyclos.embedded.locale in cyclos.properties or another name to that effect and choose the correct files or folders?

Regards,
KC.

hugo

Post by hugo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:13 am

Hi,

The chinese locale needs to be added first by us. We will do this so that it will be available with the final release (that will come out this month). For the time being you can just copy everything over the en_US locale.
Can you send us the translation when it is ready? We would be happy to include it in the main release.

kclau

Post by kclau » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for including Chinese locale in the final release.

Would you consider adding a parameter to specify the locale in cyclos.properties? Or would specifying with java -Duser.language=zh -Duser.country=CN do the job in the final release? This would allow us to test or run it without depending on the locale of the operating system.

I'll try to send you the translation when it is ready. However, given the very limited time that I have and the large amount of work for finding appropriate terms and language constructs, it could take a long time well beyond this month.

Regards,
KC.

hugo

Post by hugo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi KC,

We will add the locale internally (but not in the cyclos properties). If you send me the files before the final release I can inlcude them.

kclau

Static files not in locale-specific folder

Post by kclau » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi Hugo,

I noticed that in RC2, the static files previously in
web\pages\general\translation_files\static_files\en_US etc
are now in web\pages\general\static_files.

I am sure there are reasons for making this change. However, I think it would be better to revert to the previous sub-folder structure for each locale.

It would not only make it possible to retain various language-specific files in one release, it would also allow for supporting multiple languages within a system, if this requirement becomes necessary. Surely it would take a major change throughout the system and the database to support multiple languages, but retaining the previous locale-specific static files structure would minimize at least one change.

With Web Services, there are more possibilities to link up and integrate various complementary currency systems globally. I can foresee an increasing need to support at least 2 languages on each system: the local language and an international language like English. There could also be an increasing need to support multiple languages for members within a large community.

Are there plans to support multiple languages where different users can choose different languages within the same system?

Regards,
KC.

hugo

Post by hugo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:36 am

Hi KC,

We the static files so that all translation is in the translation properties file. So that static files do not need to be translated anymore (I adapted the wiki).

Cyclos4 will support user defined languages (and other locals like date and time format). It will take a while for Cyclos to be published. We expect Cyclos4 to come out by may 2010.

kclau

Post by kclau » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Hugo,

It appears that general_news.jsp has not yet been parameterized. While it may appear trivial to change, it could be confusing as the menu path would not appear localized in the first place. Please consider again putting them back in locale-specific sub-folders, especially if in the future Cyclos may support multiple languages within each system and we can customize differently for members of different languages.

Regards,
KC.

hugo

Post by hugo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:29 am

Hi KC,

We left the general news as it is. Note that besides the option to change the content of the static files by translation keys you can always customize the static files as before.

By the way. Do you think you manage the Chinese translation before the end of the month? Our policy is to add a locale after we have included and tested the translation.

Best regards, Hugo