Status Online Banking interfaces

Functionality discussions and feature requests

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

teutoswen

Status Online Banking interfaces

Post by teutoswen » Mon May 22, 2006 4:56 am

Hello dears,

does anybody know about a Online banking interface developed as part of Cyclos ?

What about BancoPalmas or the ComPras project ?

If there is an interface, do you know which standard is supported towards the banks: HBCI, FinTS, other ?

Thanks in advance,
greetings from Northern Germany,

Swen

hugovanderzee

Post by hugovanderzee » Mon May 22, 2006 9:17 am

Hi Swen,

Cyclos does not have an transaction interface. We have looked at various standards and protocols and we are still not sure what to chose. HBCI seems to become obsolete soon and FinTS is intended mostly for the german banks. Until now the most interesting candidate is ofx http://www.ofx.net/ofx/default.asp. This is a microsoft but open specification.
Any suggestions / help is welcome.
Hugo van der Zee
Cyclos development team

teutoswen

Open Source HBCI / OFX library

Post by teutoswen » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:32 pm

Hi Hugo / all,

thanks for your valuable feedback. What you say is right. I might add that still a lot of German banks use HBCI. Nevertheless, outside Germany HBCI / FinTS seems to be not yet successful.

I found an OpenSource project related to Online Banking, you might know about it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aqbanking

It is a library for HBCI, OFX, Yellownet and DTAUS.

Another paper I saw recommends to watch out for what SWIFT does in the area of Online Banking Interfaces, as they are so widespread = influential.

Regards, Swen

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:39 pm

Last week I visited Alejandro Revilla who is the founder / project manager developer of JPOS. A very interesting project and it seems to be a perfect solution for a transaction interface.

"jPOS is a Java based ISO-8583 implementation that can be used to setup financial interchanges (EFT, POS, ATM, Payment Gateways, XML/XSL-T based protocol conversion, etc.)."

TWe will work on a JPOS integraton in Cyclos. Here is some news on the JPOS blog. http://jpos.org/blog/2006/12/14/jpos-and-cyclos/

thomasw

Aqua-Banking - jPOS

Post by thomasw » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:24 pm

Hello Swen & Hugo,

first a bit feeback:
I'd a short look at jPOS / miniGL.
jPOS seems to be a very interessting model for making transactions.
Even more interessting is miniGL: a common core of a booking-engine, let's say. Very good! Noone who as to invent the data model another time.

However, it seems that these models are long-term cooperation projects.

We, here in german language area, have the problem that we need running solutions with banking interfaces. In fact is HBCI wide spread. As far as i followed the project, AqBanking is a strong improved, rather new rewrite of the 'old' OpenHBCI, which was an Open Source implementation of the HBCI standard; also used by several big banks!
(See Swen's links)

However, this is my personal sight of the situation here. Maybe we cope a fork for a HBCI implementation. It could take years before a new standard gets meaningfull in bank branches. And if we do it as a plugin, it's just one interface of many - if you don't need it, leave it away. If you need it - use it.

The question is: How can we find a track on this issue?
The answer is: We will see! I'm quite optimistic here as far as some local programmers may be found.

It's quite clear that non-HBCI-countries have no real motivation to implement such specific stuff.

Nice regrads!

Sam
--
Thomas Sam Wittich
bueffelSOFT
--
Do it, but do it well!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi Sam,

Here is a list of financial institutions and banks that use JPOS currently.
http://jpos.org/w/index.php/WhoIsUsing
Many countries support the ISO8583 standard and I am quite confident that JPOS is the way to go.

MiniGL is still in its infancy. But very promising. We having a look at it at the moment.

Regards, Hugo

joshua

JPos And Affero

Post by joshua » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Hello,

Just would like to note that JPos is licensed under GPL Affero. This may affect your users who are using Cyclos and charging users in any way. Its a new part of the GPL license and its a major gray area as there is zero precedence.

So in general, if any cyclos users are profiting off their cyclos installation (note: this does not mean redistributing the code) they may face legal exposure if JPos becomes part of the main code branch.

Thanks,

Joshua Zeidner
USA

http://joshuazeidner.com

joshua

GnuCash

Post by joshua » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:32 am

also another thing to consider- the premier open source personal accounting software works with OFX. Using GnuCash as a interface to Cyclos is a notable benefit.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:47 am

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the info. We had a look at OFX in the past. I did not know GNUcash did support it. Interesting. We will look into it.

thomasw

GNU Cash

Post by thomasw » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:42 am

Hi,

using GNU Cash really would be a good option.
There is not so much to do on programming side - it's just about determining which transaction data should be transported to gnu chash and the way back.
(Of course, that's a serious task anyway)
But one can save all the implementation stuff to connect to banks.

That's my opinion.

All nice, Sam
--
Thomas Sam Wittich
bueffelSOFT
--
Do it, but do it well!