Browser Language autodetect

Functionality discussions and feature requests

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

seanrphl

Browser Language autodetect

Post by seanrphl »

I would like to ask if there is already a procedure to detect browser language settings at cyclos and redirect the user to that language? We are thinking of this to have a single database, but with multiple language options for users.

Or if the question is not appropriate. Can cyclos be able to accommodate multiple concurrent languages in a single install? User selects language preferences manually or through browser language settings before he/she logs in.

Thanks. :)

rinke

re: detect browser language

Post by rinke »

I would like to ask if there is already a procedure to detect browser language settings at cyclos and redirect the user to that language? We are thinking of this to have a single database, but with multiple language options for users.
No, there is not yet a procedure for that. At present, the language is set in the admin interface, for all the users in the instance.
Or if the question is not appropriate. Can cyclos be able to accommodate multiple concurrent languages in a single install? User selects language preferences manually or through browser language settings before he/she logs in.
At the moment not. And as far as I know, it is not on the wishlist yet.
Hugo maintains the wishlist; maybe he can comment if this is a subject for the wishlist. If so, it will not be addressed before at earliest next year.

hugovanderzee

Post by hugovanderzee »

Initially we thought that cyclos instances would be runned by local organisations/communities. We opted for a system wide language setting for simplicity reasons. Ofcourse in countries with more languages like Canada and Belgium there can be a need to have multiple languages.
Technically it is not so difficult to have the language set according to the the language configured in the browser (or let the user chose a language).
You will have to take much care with the translations because it can become confusing.
We will put it on the wishlist. I updated the forum when we will plan it in.
Hugo van der Zee
Cyclos development team