Migrating from Community to Pro

Functionality discussions and feature requests

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

Reconomy

Migrating from Community to Pro

Post by Reconomy »

We have a community of about 1000 members and we would like to launch a time bank/mutual credit system now using the free 4 Communities software, and later migrate to 4 Pro (after we have a large enough support base). When we migrate will we be able to keep

1) the same community name
2) the same web address
3) and will we be able to migrate members from Community to Pro without repeat of individual member registrations?

Reconomy

Re: Migrating from Community to Pro

Post by Reconomy »

Can anyone suggest where I might find answers to these questions?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, a migration tool will be provided to migrate the community to a Cyclos PRO installation.
All data, such as: Name, URL, https certifcate etc. can be maintained/migrated.

Reconomy

Post by Reconomy »

admin wrote:Hi,

Yes, a migration tool will be provided to migrate the community to a Cyclos PRO installation.
All data, such as: Name, URL, https certifcate etc. can be maintained/migrated.

Thank you for this reply.

More than 1000 persons from around the globe are pledged to support sustainable community development as a cooperative using our time bank as a tool to trade services and to contribute their time. As creator of this project, my aim now is to launch a global time bank that will facilitate community time banks and currency systems, such that our membership can use their time to support the creation, growth, and operation of these community systems. At this time, I'd like to launch the global system on C4C and later migrate to C4P when that platform is ready.

My hope now is to begin in a manner that will not create unnecessary difficulties for us or your admins later, and my assumption is that I can now follow your established registration path for a C4C system. Do the admins have any suggestions that will help us to avoid difficulties with migration later, such as regarding hosting services?

Warm regards,
Kevin Parcell for Reconomy at http://reconomy.net

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Kevin,

I understand your doubt. We are still reviewing of the license so not everything is 100% defined yet. Let me explain the things are defined.
The Cyclos 4 Communities (C4C) version and Cyclos 4 PRO are technically identical, the difference is the license. We will make a migration tool that exports networks/communities from Cyclos (either C4C or C4P) and that can be imported in antoher (empty or existing) Cyclos4 installation.

Currently the community administrators can perform basic administration tasks like user and content management, but they do not have access to the more advanced sytem features (e.g. modifying account structure, setting thresholds etc.). These tasks can be done by global administrators. Global admins are admins that can administer one or more networks. A global admin can create and manage new communities (networks), and existing communities can request support for their community by a global admin. Here is some information on that: http://www.cyclos.org/cyclos4communitiessupport
It will be also possible to set a domain name for a community (see http://www.cyclos.org/cyclos4communitiesdomain).
If you are interested in becoming a global administrator you can send an e-mail to info@cyclos.org.
Next week we will send a newsletter with more information about those featues.

About the migration service. We expect this to be ready by the beginning of 2014. But we cannot give any exact date.
I hope it is more clear. Any more doubts please let me know.

Regards,
Hugo

Reconomy

Post by Reconomy »

Hi Hugo,

Congratulations on your excellent progress, and thank you for your helpful reply.

I understand you are saying the current software now allows our global time bank group to register as a C4C system, and our administrators can perform basic administration tasks for our global time bank system, but our global group will need "global administrator" privilege before we can manage more advanced system features and/or create and manage our community groups. I also understand you are saying the migration tool that will permit us to move from C4C to C4P will be available by early next year (2014).

In addition to supporting sustainable geographical community development, and supporting the creation and management of Cyclos community systems (currency or time bank) our system aims to offer free hosting to community groups as part of our service. I am assuming that we can do this using the group-based structure described on your website:
"For more complex systems that have different communities with multiple currencies and different levels of internal trade the 'group set' or ‘group filter’ function can be used. With this function it is possible to join various member groups in a logical entity or ‘community’ group. Such a community group could be a isolated group with its own rules, pages and layout but the administration can also allow payments between communities."
Am I correct in understanding that this group-based function will permit us to combine the data management costs into one account under our one hosting service provider? Our hope is to achieve an economy of scale, and perhaps ease the challenge for our global time bank members assisting individual community systems. Also, at this time, do I understand correctly that the group-based function is one of the "advanced system features" that requires global administrator privileges, or can this be performed by our community administrators without global administrator privileges?

At this time, we would also like our administrators to be able to adjust individual account balances for each member when the member is added to our system (to control their initial trading privileges), and to again adjust the accounts (adding credit) after their proffered service is screened by our administrators. Am I correct in understanding that we will need to request global administrator privileges to make such adjustments?

Finally, should we request global administrator privileges from Cyclos before we secure our hosting service and register our system with Cyclos?

Thank you for your kind attention.

Regards,
Kevin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Kevin,

With one installation (instance) of Cyclos you can host indeed multiple communities. This will require advance features like the management of groups/networks/products.
You can set credit limits and initial credits as a normal community admin (from the user profile - accounts)

We are focussed on the development and have not much time to answer all questions. You can either ask for support with existing Community administrators (see http://www.cyclos.org/cyclos4communitiessupport). Or you can become a community administrator yourself. There is a process for this. If you are interested you can send an e-mail to info@cyclos.org

best,

Reconomy

Post by Reconomy »

Thanks for your time. Best to you in all your good work.