Keyboard with numbers only to type the PIN code in the POS?

Any issue about Cyclos 4 mobile app

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

Xebax

Keyboard with numbers only to type the PIN code in the POS?

Post by Xebax »

Hi,

We are using the Android mobile app in POS mode on Famoco FX100 devices, which have a quite small screen. Typing the PIN code is difficult for the users because the keyboard is too small and too hard to use.
The PIN code is configured like this:
- mode: manual
- input method: text
- lenght: 4 to 4
- letters: no
- numbers: required
- special characters: no
so the PIN code has exactly 4 digits (numbers only) but the keyboard that is displayed in the mobile app is the text keyboard.

I would like the keyboard to have only numbers, like when typing the amount to pay, for example. Is it possible to do that? How?

Note that we have customized the mobile app (changed the name and the icon) so if more customization is needed, we can do it.

Thank you for you help.
Best regards.
Xebax
rmvanarkel

Re: Keyboard with numbers only to type the PIN code in the P

Post by rmvanarkel »

Dear Xebax,

The easiest thing is to use a password with Input method "Virtual keyboard". Just allow the characters 0123456789 and you are good to go. However if you already have a pin you need to migrate this which could annoy your users a bit. I looked at other solutions too but unfortunately it's not so easy. E.g. the input pattern

Code: Select all

<input Type="Password" name="psw" pattern="[0-9]*">
Isn't working in Android yet and only in Ios.

Also other methods in phonegap are not optimal:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/191 ... le-devices (this double input fields is quite hacky)
https://github.com/Paldom/PinDialog (seems already a bit outdated)

So I really hope you can use the virtual keyboard, this you can also modify with CSS.

Best regards,

The Cyclos team
Xebax

Re: Keyboard with numbers only to type the PIN code in the P

Post by Xebax »

Thank you for your answer.

I've done some tests with the virtual keyboard and I see 2 drawbacks with this solution:

1) The new password must be manually created and each user has to do that. Is there a method to migrate the passwords (PIN code -> virtual keyboard) automatically? We have 700 users with an active account and a manual migration would be quite difficult to handle.
2) The layout of the virtual keyboard is modified each time a character is entered and this makes entering the password a bit difficult. Is there a mean to deactivate that so that the layout is always the same or it changes between 2 payments but not for each character? With the current behavior I think the people will say it is complicated and they may be discouraged from using our card.

About the other methods you suggest: To apply them, the code of the mobile app must be modified, no? Does that mean that these solutions can be implemented by the Cyclos team only?

Best regards,
Xebax