How to use it for LETS? Offers but no Wants or pathway to contact users before paying

Discussion space for community admins

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

Catada

Re: How to use it for LETS? Offers but no Wants or pathway to contact users before paying

Post by Catada »

OK can you send me a screenshot, or tell me how to get started? I cannot find anything, maybe I don't know the terminology
Thanks Cate

Catada

Re: How to use it for LETS? Offers but no Wants or pathway to contact users before paying

Post by Catada »

OK I found it, Was that there all along or is it new? It's down the bottom and it's called Demand, not Wants and it is a radio button down the bottom. I wish someone had told me. At least now I know what to search on.
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 4.58.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 4.58.54 AM.png (17 KiB) Viewed 1922 times

Catada

Post by Catada »

So I didn't need to pay or configure anything

Catada

Post by Catada »

Thanks. Yay!
So when I go to buy something I can see the phone number of the person, but it is not clickable, and no email, can I message them through the app?
That would be really handy
Thanks Cate

ZiP

Post by ZiP »

Yes, it was mysterious story about this trade type selection

Catada

Post by Catada »

Strange, is there a way of sending message through the app?

SimonC

Post by SimonC »

Hi Catana,
Interesting to see how your experience has panned out - a bit frustrating for you it seems. We have to be really patient and remember that open-source is not so much free beer but free speech, and so keep our expectations in check. I see you upgraded with a donation, but I couldn't recognize anything in the list of added features that jumped out at me as helpful, from the little I've leant about Cyclos for communities. The first think I'd want is the 'invite users' feature which the demo model has... kind of vital if you want the exchange to grow.
At this initial stage of looking into Cyclos as an alternative to CES, I'm perplexed that I can't find any exchanges - including yours in Tuggeranong. I only found it via this Forum. On Cycos I could only find two users in Australia from 2013 located on a map. Have you found any other exchanges in Australia on Cyclos?
Let me introduce myself briefly. I ran BrisLETS (Brisbane LETS) for three years. We got a fun team of people together and tried to do a lot. https://brislets.com/ It was quite an experience, ending in a lot of learning and potential nipped in the bud for a number of reasons. There was significant resistance to experimentation. CES is great compared to just paper-based trading and huge thanks to Tim Jenkins and Matt Slater for creating it, but many users get so frustrated with it that they give up.
In the last year of my BrisLETS committee experience (last year), I spoke to a number of neighbouring LETS admins about merging to reduce admin. I see little merit in small exchanges because there is little danger of wealth being leached out of an area when an alternative currency like this is being used - people tend to trade locally and in small-time goods and services anyway. Tasmania, as you know, is one big LETS exchange.
Anyway, my colleague and I are looking at Cyclos and toying with the idea of a big exchange covering Australasia or the whole Oceanic region because Cyclos Pro has that potential. It'll be something we'll do in our spare time with people we enjoy working with.
I created an Australia-wide Cyclos community just to see what it's like, but it seems too limited in functionality - the problem you've experienced. Cyclos 4 Pro (Startup -see https://www.cyclos.org/products/) is free. If you check the price list (linked in that same url there - it's a pdf download) you'll see how it's possible to slowly climb up the versions as your user numbers grow, limited expenses until there is fair bit of trading going on. Covering the $ cost of Cyclos would be an issue to contend with. I'm not sure, but I imagine these versions are more functional... of course it requires some people with technical skills and a lot of patience and time to dedicate to it.
If you're interested in chatting about all this further, we could do so on Skype or Zoom - I think that'd be a easy quick way to touch base.
Cheers.
:D Please check my profile to see who I am.
Our trial Cyclos Community for all Australia is here: https://communities.cyclos.org/australia

Catada

Post by Catada »

Hi Simon
Yes it would be good to talk. We re still trying to work out the best way to go
I am not sure about Cyclos.
I have friended you. I am not suer if that means we'll be able to pm. Maybe better to email tuggcommunityexchange@gmail.com
Thanks Cate

SimonC

Post by SimonC »

Thanks Cate. I friended you and tried to pm you, too, but was told I don't have authorization for that... hmmm.. So I'll email you. Cheers.
Simon
:D Please check my profile to see who I am.
Our trial Cyclos Community for all Australia is here: https://communities.cyclos.org/australia