Why doesn't Cyclos run an international community?

Discussion space for community admins

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

Quantar

Why doesn't Cyclos run an international community?

Post by Quantar »

Hi,

I was wondering why Cyclos does not run its own international trading network, using its own currency unit and perhaps connected to the Trade Union organisations?

This seems to me to be a far more efficient use of resources and networks rather than a multitude of local currencies which create a myriad of costs and technical problems?

Also is there a separate forum for Cyclos Pro or does the Forum link only relate to Cyclos communities?

Thanks Elixer.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Why doesn't Cyclos run an international community?

Post by admin »

It is very much possible to run an international trading network with Cyclos4. You can define different locale settings (language, time zone).
It can be done within a Cyclos4 community but be aware that all communities exist in a single database. Therefore Cyclos 4 PRO would be better suited.
commonomia

Post by commonomia »

I,m interested in this issue. I´ve tried to create a new configuration but it has to be a second level configuration and country or language can´t be defined. I cannot create a new parent configuration.

Regards
Quantar

Post by Quantar »

Ok thanks.

Can I ask again why Cyclos does not run its own international alternative currency network, or is this perhaps forbidden by a Cyclos charter or structure?

I am interested in such an international concept but I suggest that it would be far better if Cyclos itself ran such a currency network which everyone could share in and which could be easily run with the Cyclos technical expertise?

Cheers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

We are currently much focussed on software development and local trade systems.
That said, Cyclos has no limitation to local trade.

To answer the question of commonomia. With network adminstration access you can create and manage configruations/localizations.
commonomia

Post by commonomia »

Thank you.
I have a network administration profile an when I try to set a new configuration I can´t create a first level configuration. Fields of location are no enable in second level configurations. I must be doing something wrong.

Regards
SimonC

Post by SimonC »

It's a good question. It seems if Cyclos is going to be the platform to do it, it needs a team of people working to solve various issues, not least of which is the technical side of Cyclos. Quantar and commonomia I've just contacted two other people in Australia that are on this Forum, too - Catada in Tuggeranong, NSW and rays-choice in Horsham, VIC (his email is not working). I'm with a few people in Brisbane who worked with me on BrisLETS (using CES) up to last year. I'm trying to get people together to see if there is the will to pool our resources and do something. Start small with Cyclos 4 Pro (Startup) and grow it to the 12 country version (pigs may fly? lol) - e.g. an Oceanic regional currency. Let's chat on Skype or Zoom? Cheers.
Last edited by SimonC on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:D Please check my profile to see who I am.
Our trial Cyclos Community for all Australia is here: https://communities.cyclos.org/australia
ZiP

Post by ZiP »

A large international trade community requires a lot of trust. In the local community, participants mostly know each other and can meet to resolve various contradictions. In international trade, this is not the case at all. Therefore, it is better to use ordinary currencies or crypto currencies to interact with participants who are not personally trusted by you.
SimonC

Post by SimonC »

Interesting point, Zip. My experience is that when people are well known to each other and the trust is high, there is a wonderful tendency to forego transactions... gifting, or trusting the favour will be returned takes over and the currency isn't needed.
Therefore, a 'community' isn't needed so much as a 'culture' - one that understands the reasons for an alternative currency. I'm thinking of a mutual credit system. How much trust does an international currency need? I agree crypto currencies are very helpful in this regard because they are have more identity security and are more automated.
Our trial Cyclos Community for all Australia is here: https://communities.cyclos.org/australia
ZiP

Post by ZiP »

Ok, let's try. Register at my cyclos community. I'll give you 1000 my owned local dollars and you will sent my new notebook. Deal? Or do you need some trust?
SimonC

Post by SimonC »

ZiP wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Ok, let's try. Register at my cyclos community. I'll give you 1000 my owned local dollars and you will sent my new notebook. Deal? Or do you need some trust?
A couple of things, Zip:
- I assume you're responding to me, but it'd be better to quote me as I have done you, here. And how about checking your post and correcting errors?
- Your profile has 'Zip' information about you - check out mine; my real name, age, location and website.
- You haven't linked me to your community or told me anything about it.
- You seem to be goading me into not trusting you to prove yourself right. Mission accomplished, mate.
SimonC

Post by SimonC »

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:56 pm
Hi,

We are currently much focussed on software development and local trade systems.
That said, Cyclos has no limitation to local trade.

To answer the question of commonomia. With network adminstration access you can create and manage configruations/localizations.
I'm looking for answers to some basic questions about Cyclos that none of the documentation addresses (they all immediately dive deep into technical information):

- Is it possible to exchange a Cyclos currency with a fiat currency such as the Australian dollar using the Cyclos platform (i.e. can it do transactions with an Australian bank?) It seems to - I've read https://www.cyclos.org/banks/

- In a Cyclos 4 Pro version (e.g. Medium/Large) covering various countries (e.g. Australia, NZ, Fiji & Papua New Guinea) can there be just one currency? If so, could users access it in their own language and time zone?

Thanks in advance!