Security concern in sms payments

Discussion space for community admins

Moderators: hugo, alexandre, rmvanarkel

seintitus

Security concern in sms payments

Post by seintitus »

Hello. i have noted that on making sms payments on cyclos in that your PIN or password can be easily compromised.Lets say you are making an sms payment on your phone in this format: "pay 1234 john 20" .Now after sending that sms, a copy will always remain on sent items on your phone and that means that if anyone should get access to your phone, he can maliciously get your cyclos PIN.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Security concern in sms payments

Post by admin »

Hi,

This is indeed one of the drawbacks of SMS payments. Many projects even don't use a PIN with SMS. So the responsibility is with the users, to keep their phone save.
Generally we did see much fraud issues. Actually, we did not hear of any fraud and their are many systems using SMS. Usually persons keep their phone on them. And if a phone is lost the SMS payments can be blocked. It is also possible to set limits on SMS payments. These are all external enhancements and do not offer a full guarantee.
The smartphone app is more save in that sense. We are also working on NFC payments.

TSRalex

Re: Security concern in sms payments

Post by TSRalex »

seintitus wrote: ......Now after sending that sms, a copy will always remain on sent items on your phone and ....
I´ve heard about a possibility to delete sent messages - but I´m not really sure about.... ;-)