Cyclos on the internet ... Apache/Tomcat on a VPS

Any issue about installation and configuration of the Cyclos software

Moderators: rmvanarkel, hugo, alexandre

john

Cyclos on the internet ... Apache/Tomcat on a VPS

Post by john »

Ok ... I can get the stand-alone to work I can even get Cyclos to work locally via Tomcat, but Cyclos on the internet just keeps eluding me.

I created the db and user ... loaded the clean_db.sql ...

I copied the Cyclos folder over to the webapps dir via ftp, renamed it cyclos, made the changes to the cyclos.properties file in the Classes dir. Go back to the WHM and restart Tomcat ... all is great ... go to domainname:8080 and get the Tomcat Manager pull down the app list and there is cyclos ... hit start and thats where the fun ends.

"FAIL - Application at context path /cyclos could not be started"

Googling this just gets more and more confusing as there appears to be no straight answer.

Catalina Log file shows
Sep 14, 2010 3:12:55 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 9927 ms
Sep 14, 2010 3:13:20 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: HTMLManager: init: Associated with Deployer 'Catalina:type=Deployer,host=localhost'
INFO: HTMLManager: init: Global resources are available
INFO: HTMLManager: list: Listing contexts for virtual host 'localhost'
Sep 14, 2010 3:13:27 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: HTMLManager: start: Starting web application at '/cyclos'
Sep 14, 2010 3:13:31 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Sep 14, 2010 3:13:31 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/cyclos] startup failed due to previous errors
Sep 14, 2010 3:13:32 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: HTMLManager: list: Listing contexts for virtual host 'localhost'
I am at a loss as to what to look at next ... any help would be greatly appreciated.

J0hnZ@SLm
hugo

Post by hugo »

Hi John,

Why are you loading the clean_db.sql ?
john

Steps thus far ....

Post by john »

Why are you loading the clean_db.sql ?
Hey Hugo,

After I posted the first msg I went back in and emptied the db thinking that MIGHT be the issue but alas no. (deleted it and made a new one with no import so it was just the db and the user w/ pwd)

I've since installed a LAMP/T hoping that playing with Tomcat & Apache2 will give me some insight as to what may be wrong ... it appears there are a few ways that LAMP/T can be configured. Although my host has Tomcat installed I have yet to get the servlets working in a virtually hosted domain, I can see where Tomcat is updating the public_html dir with the WEB-INF but going into :8080 on that domain just results in No Resources Available. I should at least be able to get the manager ... anyway the one place I can get into Tomcat is where I have been playing around trying to get Cyclos to work ... really feel it is something small but there is so much info in ref to Tomcat and some of it is so vague.

In Tomcat I can see Cyclos .... but trying to start it results in either the context error mentioned before or Tomcat crashes and has to be restarted.

So the adventure continues .... Any help is greatly appreciated,

J0hnZ@SLm
hugo

Post by hugo »

Hi John,

Cyclos is works as a normal Java application. Maybe you can get some help in that area. I would really keep it as simple as possible. Installing lamp will make unnecessary complex. You only need apache if you want have multiple DNS names on the same IP for example.

I would install first everything local. I think I made that suggestion already. This should be quite straightforward. If you get it working locally you can start to see what is wrong with the server installation.
john

Local installation

Post by john »

Hey Hugo ...

I have installed everything locally both stand alone and via Apache/Tomcat ... you would think I'd have a crystal clear understanding of it all <LOL>

I have both a WAMP/T and a LAMP/T installation ... both work great!!!!

The only reason I run Apache is because I work with Virtual Hosts too and where I'm eventually going to be running Cyclos is via virtual host on the host server.

Probably next week sometime I am going to back cyclos off the host server and go at it again by the numbers ... if I still have problems I'll be the bald guy clutching a hand full of hair screaming help!!!! <G>

Normally I can figure things out but this has been a real brain twister, If I could just see someones installation somewhere ... it would at least let me know what I should be looking at.

Still paddling!!!! <LOL>
Thanks for the input.

J0hnZ@SLm
john

WEB-INF and webapps

Post by john »

I think I see where my confusion is coming in ...

WEB-INF and webapps ....

In the WIKI it says to copy the folder into the webapps folder ... the only webapps folder I have seen is in the /usr/local/shared/jakarta/tomcat5.5 dir of my host server ... this is fine if I only have one site but as of yet I haven't been able to get Tomcat to come up in the domain. I'm assuming if I can get the Tomcat manager to come up in the new domain I can theoretically get Cyclos to run there too.

There are WEB-INF folders in both the Cyclos folder and in my host public-html folder ... which one am I working with for Cyclos the one in the Cyclos folder or the one in the public-html folder ... does Tomcat just look for the WEB-INF no matter where it is withing the domains dir?

Sorry if I am over thinking this ... G>

J0hnZ@SLm
hugo

Post by hugo »

Hi John,

Did you manage to install everything locally as I suggested?
It seems to me more a tomcat issue than a Cyclos issue.
john

Local installs

Post by john »

Hey Hugo,

Yes I have been able to install locally without issue ... twice, one on Windows and one on Linux ... but I am missing something when I try to deploy on a live host as stated previously.

I did as you suggested and used just Tomcat ... no problem there, Apache/Tomcat was a little tricky but I was able to get Cyclos working . But there has to be something different in the Apache/Tomcat configuration on the host server that I haven't been able to pin point as of yet.

Will try again soon and let you know the results.

J0hnZ@SLm
hugo

Post by hugo »

Ok, as we do not manage any hosting and we do not have experience with Tomcat/Apache I cannot help you much. You could ask the hoster www.digitekst.com
They work with Apache / Tomcat. The probably will charge for consultancy but it could save you time.
mark_orion

Post by mark_orion »

Hi John, here are some suggestions where to look:
Installation path:
The Tomcat webapps folder is the root folder for all Tomcat applications on your system - including the manger. You usually install applications in subfolders within "webapps". For Cyclos 3.5.6 you would copy / move the "web" folder that comes with the cyclos tar or zip archive into "webapps" and rename the "web" folder e.g. "cyclos". Your Cyclos installation will then be available under http://yourdomain.org:8080/cyclos
You can install one and only one application as "root" on Tomcat. This installation folder has to be called "ROOT". You would then get your cyclos installation at http://yourdomain.org:8080

Error message:
The error message "SEVERE: Error listenerStart" in your log means that Tomcat cannot initialize cyclos. Check your cyclos configuration in WEB-INF/classes/cyclos.properties
One typical causes for errors is that "Enable HTTPS security" is set, but SSL is not installed properly on Tomcat. Always try without HTTPS first before you go into the whole certificate shebang...
Another cause is that the database is not set up properly. Many VPSs allow you to create MYSQL databases through their web-interface (e.g. CPanel), but you have to be careful with the database name:
When you create a database "cyclos" often a database "username_cyclos" is created. The same applies to database users.

I hope this helps you to get your Cyclos going,
Mark
omniuniversal

Cyclos Standalone

Post by omniuniversal »

Can I run the Cyclos Standalon on a VPS server. I am getting an appache tomcat error 404 when I followd the instruction to the letter.
rinke

Post by rinke »

Hi omniuniversal,

see the other topic.

Could you please post new issues in a new topic, and not post them at the end of other existing topics? It makes the forum less clear.

thanks,
[/url]